The Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) and Under Armour today unveiled their new Wales range for 2015-2017 in front of a capacity crowd in Cardiff and millions of television viewers around the world, Sport-locker.net can reveal.
The WRU and official technical partner Under Armour took the unique step of unveiling the new Wales kit which was strictly under wraps until after the anthems were sung this afternoon, on-pitch.
The innovative new kit, which will be worn for the next two seasons by the national men’s, women’s and age grade sides, has been built with Under Armour’s signature technologies which enable peak performance in all weather conditions; including sweat-wicking HeatGear® fabric, to help keep players cool and dry, and ArmourGrid™ technology for light, durable strength.
Scott Williams who will lead Wales against Ireland this afternoon said:
“We’re delighted to wearing and releasing the new Wales range by Under Armour.
“They have always shown commitment, passion and cutting edge development to the Wales kit and they have continued that with the new range.”
The new home kit heralds a return to the white shorts last seen in 2013 with a predominantly red jersey, which features ‘Oxblood’ detail across the shoulders.
Oxblood was used in buildings like the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, on the Llangollen canal, where it was added to the lime mortar used to bind the masonry together following ancient superstition that the blood of a strong animal would strengthen a building or structure.
A trim of ‘Welsh Gold’, inspired by the highly prized rarity once found in Welsh mines, also adorns the shirt, white shorts and red socks alongside more Oxblood colouring.
Wales’ new anthracite away kit, which will be debuted against Italy in Cardiff next month, will also contain Under Armour cutting-edge technologies, as will the red and black camouflaged Wales Sevens jersey, out soon.
Fans can pick up the new kits, and the rest of the new range exclusively from WRU outlets at the Millennium Stadium, at the WRU shop on Westgate Street and online from store.wru.co.uk from 2.30pm today. The range will be available from other major retailers from Monday.
Authentic jerseys are available from WRU outlets (online and in store) at the WRU price of £79.99 and replica jerseys at £49.99, matching their 2013-15 equivalents. The kit launched today will also be available to buy in its RWC version – branded for the tournament which means it temporarily does not carry the normal Admiral logo, but includes the tournament mark (priced at £84.99 authentic and £54.99 replica).
Under Armour’s most technologically advanced kit to date features:
- ArmourGrid™ Fabric: Creates a lightweight shirt and shorts with ‘no grab’ technology, adding to the competitive advantage
- ArmourGrip™ Technology: A strategically placed grippy area on the body of the shirt aids in catching and securing the ball. Featuring a unique dragon scale print, designed specifically for WRU
- Function Panels: Panels on the shirt in compression fabric and mesh allow the grid sections to function as individual plates, maintaining a freedom of movement without sacrificing on weight, durability and breathability
- Stretch Mesh Underarm: Ventilated underarm panel with four-way stretch offers maximum breathability and player mobility
- Shorts Stretch-Gusset: The gusset provides four-way stretch in a critical flex zone
- Shorts Grippy Waistband: An internal waistband grip prevents the shirt from untucking during movement